Welcome to the inaugural New Private Markets Global Awards. Our aim is to honour and showcase the private markets firms and investors that have excelled throughout the last year globally in the areas of impact and ESG.
To kick off the process we, the editorial team, will compile shortlists, but we would welcome your help. If you believe your firm or organisation should be considered in one of the categories, please follow the submission process outlined below.
We have tried to answer your questions below. For anything we have missed, please contact Toby Mitchenall.
Our awards treat impact and ESG as two distinct concepts, and therefore two distinct types of awards category. Impact investing refers to investments made with the explicit dual purpose of generating financial returns as well as creating a positive, measurable impact on society or the environment (visit GIIN to find more on the definition of impact). ESG refers to the integration of environmental, social and governance considerations into firms’ operations and investment processes.
• Impact firm of the year (climate and nature)
• Impact firm of the year (financial inclusion)
• Impact firm of the year (circular economy)
• Impact firm of the year (education)
• Impact firm of the year (real estate)
• Impact firm of the year (food system)
• Impact firm of the year (healthcare)
• Multi-strategy firm of the year (ESG)
• Private debt firm of the year (ESG)
• Infrastructure firm of the year (ESG)
• Private equity firm of the year (ESG)
• Real estate firm of the year (ESG)
• Venture capital firm of the year (ESG)
• Limited partner of the year (climate)
• Limited partner of the year (impact investing)
• Limited partner of the year (ESG)
Where do I make my submission?
There is an online form here. You can submit in text or PDF format.
What sort of information is important for submissions?
The editorial team’s decision will take into account both qualitative and quantitative information when drawing up the shortlists. Decision-useful information will vary from category to category.
For “Impact firm of the year” categories, relevant information would include:
- fund or portfolio-level data on key impact metrics;
- investment and exit activity, including any relevant financial and extra-financial data;
- development of impact processes or frameworks;
- examples of industry leadership or “field-building”;
- fundraising activity;
- significant corporate developments (recruitment, footprint expansion, strategic partnerships, etc).
For ESG “Firm of year” categories across the various asset classes, relevant information would include:
- fund or portfolio-level data on key ESG metrics;
- development of ESG processes or frameworks;
- examples of ESG innovation at the firm or fund level;
- examples of industry leadership and building the industry knowledge base;
- significant corporate developments, such as key sustainability hires or framework adoption.
For “Limited partner of the year” categories, relevant information would include:
- the creation of specific private markets allocations;
- capital committed to specific, relevant funds;
- internal developments and initiatives (enhancements to reporting, due diligence, etc);
- significant corporate developments, such as key sustainability hires or framework adoption;
- examples of industry leadership or “field-building”.
How much information should I submit?
Brevity is key here. We ask that submissions do not exceed 500 words in length.
Can I submit for more than one category?
Yes. Please make separate submissions for each category entered.
What are the deadlines?
26 October, 2023: Call for submissions
17 November, 2023: Deadline for submissions
4 December, 2023: Voting opens
5 January, 2024: Voting closes
How are winners decided?
The winners of our awards will be decided by a reader vote, conducted during December and early January. Readers will be asked to vote for a winner from a shortlist of at most four candidates for each category.
How are the shortlists drawn up?
The shortlists are drawn up by the New Private Markets’ editorial team, based on a combination of their market insight and information submitted to them. Organisations who would like to be considered for the shortlists are encouraged to submit their information using this online form.
When will the winners be announced?
The winners will be announced in early 2024.
What time period is covered by the awards?
Activities undertaken in the 12 months prior to submission deadline day – 17 November, 2023 – will be considered relevant for these awards.
How do these awards relate to those of other publications in the PEI Group, such as Private Equity International or Infrastructure Investor?
These are separate from other PEI Group awards processes, some of which have sustainability categories. Organisations are welcome to submit information to these and other PEI Group awards.